Repent Matthew 4:17
Apr 28, 2020
28 Statements from Jesus that will Transform Your Marriage
Part 1 - The critical importance of intimacy with Jesus
Repent Matthew 4:17
- Listen to this devotional on my podcast
- 'From then on Jesus began to preach, “Repent of your sins and turn to God, for the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”' Matthew 4:17
- A true disciple is not first a learner or reader of his words. You are a doer. In v19 Jesus says, “Come follow me”.
- The first command of Jesus’ public ministry was, “repent”.
- Jesus wants an inward change because nothing else will stick if you don’t first address YOU
- Your actions need to be immediate
- v20 “Immediately they left their nets and followed him.”
- A friend’s wife was giving a sermon where she shared this same advice, because it’s what she did. Drugs, alcohol, miserable. Meets a janitor at the church who tells her to repent and go and tell everyone that she now believes in Jesus.
- Repent is “to turn from sin and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one’s life.”
- Psalms 51:1-17. 'Have mercy on me, O God, because of your unfailing love. Because of your great compassion, blot out the stain of my sins. Wash me clean from my guilt. Purify me from my sin. For I recognize my rebellion; it haunts me day and night. Against you, and you alone, have I sinned; I have done what is evil in your sight. You will be proved right in what you say, and your judgment against me is just. For I was born a sinner— yes, from the moment my mother conceived me. But you desire honesty from the womb, teaching me wisdom even there. Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. Oh, give me back my joy again; you have broken me— now let me rejoice. Don’t keep looking at my sins. Remove the stain of my guilt. Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a loyal spirit within me. Do not banish me from your presence, and don’t take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and make me willing to obey you. Then I will teach your ways to rebels, and they will return to you. Forgive me for shedding blood, O God who saves; then I will joyfully sing of your forgiveness. Unseal my lips, O Lord, that my mouth may praise you. You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one. You do not want a burnt offering. The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.'
- How does this help your relationship?
- Really? If you are not right with God, you are not right with each other
- The benefits of repenting
- We become more mature and gain wisdom (so we don’t mess up like that again)
- We are forgiven which also helps us forgive others (like our spouse)
- We can no longer be comfortable in our sin
- Our respect and commitment to God increases
- “Now repentance is no fun at all. It is something much harder than merely eating humble pie. It means unlearning all the self-conceit and self-will that we have been training ourselves into for thousands of years. It means undergoing a kind of death. In fact, it needs a good man to repent. And here's the catch. Only a bad person needs to repent: only a good person can repent perfectly. The worse you are the more you need it and the less you can do it. The only person who could do it perfectly would be a perfect person - and he would not need it.” C.S. Lewis
- 3 questions for each other
- Let’s take it easy on each other, but would you be willing to pray for the next three days and ask God specifically if there is something we need to repent of to God and each other?
- Is there something I’m unaware of that I need to seek forgiveness with you?
- Why do you think repentance is difficult?
SPECIAL LIMITED TIME OFFER
Pursue Oneness takes the guesswork out of "what can help" by providing an easy way to discover the most important knowledge and skills you need to succeed in your relationship:
Practical communication skills
Find new ways to love each other that encourages positive change
Eight weeks of proven relationship education, devotions and fun date night experiences
Don't miss another day without this online experience!